Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Journal Entry #1 of My Journey

Gardening 101

Saturday and Sunday I managed to start some of the seedlings I wanted to start indoors...finally. I started Martian Giant tomatoes, Brandywine tomatoes, Early Big Red tomatoes, orange bell peppers, green bell peppers, red bells peppers, hot wax peppers, Zulu prince sunflowers, Firecracker sunflowers, oregano, lavender, anise hyssop, cinnamon basil, lemon balm, bee balm, echinacea, rosemary, lamb's ear, and celery. The sunflowers have sprouted.

I also managed to tac up the bean trellis netting along my privacy fence in preparation of my peas and scarlet runner beans. Later, the cucumbers, too. Spent a few minutes turning my mulch (chopped up fall leaves) in my square-foot raised beds. So far, my daffodils and rhubarb are coming up!

Post-Peak Oil & Disaster Prepping

I went to a truckload tool sale I noticed by signs all over the place directing me along my way to work. I couldn't afford much but alot of it was all powered equipment anyway. I ended up buying 10 pairs of scissors for $10 and a 5qt. cast iron dutch oven for $9.99 one could use over campfires if needed. It's not my rocketstove/cobb oven dream but it will suffice until I can get one built, if ever. I also bought a solar shower from a camping store I was in. It was only $6.97. Affordable. I couldn't pass that up! Bought some more food stock to rotate.

Sustainability Practices

I've been flunking this lately. My new job entails me having to drive out of town for meetings occassionally. Gas was $2.65 tonight when I went to fill-up because I only had 18 miles left to go in the tank. $10 bought me a quarter tank and I have to travel 60 miles round trip on Friday to an out-of-town meeting. I'm carpooling everybody, though. Nothing else sustainable going on right now except recycling.

Note on Spirituality

I recently joined a new peak oil related spirituality group. Boy, it's a busy one! I somehow think that if we all keep our mouths shut about our own faith and our own political beliefs that maybe we might be able to form community and get along fairly well for survival. At least the new, separate list let us get out our feelings about our spirituality to each other so that we can carry on in other facets of dealing with peak oil without getting into knock-down drag-out arguments. If we who believe in peak oil can't get our acts together in tolerating each others' beliefs then I think it will be 10 times more difficult with the average joe.

Wish List

1. Berkefeld Water Purifier
2. Richard Embleton's book "Oilephant Down"
3. composting bin
4. sun oven
5. worm farm
6. outdoor clothes line
7. Attendance at Community Solutions Sustainability Conference in the fall

I think that's all I'll be able to afford up through this fall.

And that's my story so far.......

No comments: