Thursday, July 14, 2005

Planting Seeds & Spreading the Word

These past 2 days have been productive in planting seeds and spreading the word about energy depletion and the related measures surrounding the subject.

Lastnight, I handed over my 2nd copy of Richard Heinberg's "The Party's Over" to one of my daughter's friends to give to their AP Environmental Science class teacher who is teaching this class to them over the summer. He seems very privy to the issues and I thought this might be the right person to give the book to. Maybe he will actually read it, as opposed to others, and maybe he already knows about the situation anyway. Anyhow, I felt led to pass it on to him. My daughter probably wouldn't have given it to him due to feeling stupid about it so I asked one of her friend's to do it for me---she almost couldn't refuse me! LOL This book should be required reading for all high school students, IMO (even though it'll never happen).

Today, I made a stop at my local Economic Development headquarters and introduced myself to the "leader" for a few minutes. I had mailed the letter I posted a few days ago lastnight and he hadn't received it yet. I told him I've become more civic-minded and offered any help I could give towards helping with local economic development. I'll have to wait and see how this "develops".

A few hours ago, I stopped by my local farmer's market. There were 5 vendors there. I spoke with all of them for a great deal of time and got to know them a little. I told them about my idea for a CSA group. They were interested. Most of them were fairly small gardners for CSA development, though. I'm going to have to do some more research but at least I feel I've opened some doors and established some communication and started some trust. I bought something off of each one of them.


Now this sounds totally "green" of me but I'm trying some new veggies tonight of which I bought from the farmer's market! Tonight, I will cook some pumpkin blossoms, some zucchini, kohlrabi, and turnips! Believe it or not, I've never tried any of them before! I thought I'd test-taste them before I try and grow them! I think the local vendors thought I was funny asking them how to cook and eat these seemingly amazing new foods for me!

No comments: