Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Garden picture from May


Here's at least one better picture from May. The garden is much more plush now! More pictures will come as I get them! Posted by Hello

This is my first trial garden this year. Here is a list of the things I've planted: asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, rasberries, blueberries, jerusalem artichokes; chives, cilantro, rosemary, sage, parsley, thyme, lavender, dill, cammomile; green, red, orange, hot banana, cayenne peppers; Glacier tomatoes, peacevine cherry tomatoes, brandywine tomatoes; squash; Miss Pickler, straight 8, & DIVA cucumbers; benchmark green beans, sweet corn, nasturtium, marigolds, music box sunflowers; Ali Baba watermelon; Rock Star pumpkin; broccoli, radishes, Danvers 1/2 long carrots, celery....I think that's it! I'm seeing what grows well and what doesn't--small amounts of each. I'll probably expand the raised beds next year. I think my radishes "bolted" before they got very big. I probably planted them too late. Everything else is good so far except for the deer and rabbit problem.

There's no way my family could survive on this but it's a start. I still need to learn how to prepare and store these things, and I'm working on it as I go along. I hope to learn canning some things and some dehydrating techniques this year. It's just a miracle that everything is actually growing! The last time I had experience growing anything from seed was with the 2nd grade flower-in-the-egg-carton deal so this is a MAJOR feat accomplished!

No comments: